Sunday, August 30, 2009

Our Little 1 Year Old




A reflection back...
One year ago our lives changed dramatically with the birth of our baby boy. I went to the hospital for a regularly scheduled appointment since I was a couple of days overdue. The nurse noticed an arrhythmia right away while monitoring Parker's heart rate and decided it would be best for me to stay for further observation. At the time I thought nothing of it since the nurse assured me that arrhythmias are fairly common and are usually corrected through birth. But after the routine ultrasound to check amniotic fluid levels, the tech noted Parker's breathing movements were odd. It was then my doctor decided that I should be admitted and later be induced that night. Both Trevor and I were shocked and excited to hear that I would be staying overnight in the hospital to have the baby. We still were not too concerned with Parker's condition as we didn't feel the urgency from the doctors for the baby to be born. The next day contractions and pushing began, but Parker was not positioned correctly. After 3 hours of pushing we opted for a c-section (this is when I wished that I didn't skim the c-section pages of the baby books and delete the episodes of c-sections on A Baby Story) Suddenly we were rushed to the OR because Parker's heart rate dropped. I was so drugged that I didn't know the c-section had become an emergency. I ended up passing out in the OR and woke up much later to find out that our little boy was not okay. The doctor's at Mercy had an idea of what his condition might be but needed further tests that could only be done at UCD. Parker took his first ride in an ambulance to UCD where they diagnosed him with Transposition of the Great Arteries. The diagnosis and severity of the condition were all a blur to me. I didn't grasp what this meant for him as I was so naive that this could be happening to our family. The first time I saw my baby he was in the ambulance transport. I couldn't touch him, I could hardly see him, and I could barely move to even try from having a c-section.


I wanted him to stay longer, but knew he needed to see the doctors. It was so painful to see him wheeled away. So hard knowing I couldn't go with him; that I couldn't hold him or help him. Luckily, because I was feeling a little drugged still and because my body was completely exhausted, I was able to fall asleep that night. But every time a nurse would come in, my thoughts were immediately on Parker.

The next day I received a phone call from the cardiologist at UCD asking me for permission to perform a surgery (balloon septostomy) on Parker. I remember vaguely what the doctor said, but I thought this was all he needed. I waited and waited for a phone call to hear how the surgery went and was relieved a few hours later to find out it all went well. Then I found out that he would still need another surgery...open heart surgery.

(Before surgery, just 2 days old)

At 6 days old (one year ago today, 9th) Parker's little chest would be opened and his sternum broken so the doctors could get to his strawberry sized heart. The thought that we might lose our brand new baby crossed my mind several times. And I knew I had to continue to pray and remember that all was God's will.

(After arterial switch)

Thankfully Parker's surgery was a success and after 24 days in the hospital, Parker was able to come home. The thought of leaving the hospital without the monitors that we had grown so accustomed to was terrifying. How would we know his heart rate and oxygen levels?!?!?! But he has been such a strong boy, and growing so well.

(The first day home!)

And now as we look back on this last year, we are in awe at how much he has already experienced in his life. We are amazed at how strong and brave he is. Parker has such a calm and carefree personality. He keeps us laughing and stunned whenever he reaches a milestone or does something that surprises us. We are so blessed and grateful to have him in our lives and know we would not be as happy if he wasn't here.

(6 months old)

The Birthday Party!
Parker loves dogs and so for his birthday we celebrated with a dog party! The kids made dog ear hats and fruit loop collars and even ate out of dog bowls! There was swimming and lots of family and friends. Parker received a lot of great toys, books, and clothes. It was an awesome party but it felt surreal to be celebrating his first birthday.



1 comment:

Adrianne said...

This only reminds me again of how truly amazing you are, Sheena & Trevor. Parker has been a blessing in all of our lives . . . to an amazing year! xoxo